Good health from
the inside out - Joanna
From the editor’s desk
Welcome to the July issue of Joanna's Health & Beauty News, The monthly newsletter from Joanna's Beauty Slimming & Acupuncture Clinic. In this issue you can find out how sugar can contribute towards the ruination of our health and beauty.
In ‘Tips for the month’ you will find out, the best olive oil to buy and why.
The great July special.
Take advantage of the opportunity to be pampered with a complementary facial during a Lymphatic Drainage Air Pressure Massage treatment.
I hope you will enjoy this newsletter.
Kick the sweet habit
The statistics showed that the average person consumes about twelve teaspoons of sugar a day. It isn’t difficult to get to that level if you drink soft drinks, for each bottle contains at least ten teaspoons of sugar.
In 1986 the American Food and Drug Administration put out a report claiming that when the more than 25% of the diet calories are sugar, one is at risk of diabetes, glucose intolerance, heart attack, behavioral changes, excess calcium in urine, gallstones and mineral deficiencies.
Diabetes was a rare disease in 1935; between that year and 1978 it increased 600%.
Dr Nancy Appleton, PhD, one of the world’s foremost experts on the role of sugar in the diet, consultant, nutritionist, researcher, lecturer, and author of HEALTHY BONES, LICK THE SUGAR HABIT, and BALANCED BODY SECRET has the explanation:
“Every time we eat as little as two teaspoons of sugar, we change the delicate balance in the biochemistry of our bodies, and throw them out of homeostasis. After we take in sugar, blood tests would show that same of the minerals levels have increased while others have declined. Usually it is the calcium which increases and the phosphorus which decreases. Minerals work only in relation to each other and when there is too much of an imbalance a mineral can become toxic to the body. Toxic calcium can cause kidney stones, arthritis, and hardening of the arteries, among other things.”
The minerals are necessary for the enzymes to work and it is these enzymes that help us to digest our foods, among other tasks. Thus two teaspoons of sugar will also make it difficult for us to digest our food, and that partially digested food may thus go on to putrefy in the gut, and cause all sorts of problems.
A statistical study by Drs Seely and Horrobin, published in the July 1993 in the Medical Hypotheses established that breast cancer rates in various countries are proportional to sugar consumption.
But there is more surprise!
Dr Nancy Appleton summarized ‘the whole catastrophe’ in the list of reasons why sugar can contribute to damage of our health:
- Sugar can suppress the immune system
- Sugar upsets the minerals in the body
- Sugar causes hyperactivity in children
- Sugar produces a significant rise in triglycerides (fats)
- Sugar can cause kidney damage
- Sugar reduces high-density lipoproteins (desirable fats)
- Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.
- Sugar leads to cancer of the breast, ovaries, intestine, prostate and rectum.
- Sugar increases fasting level of glucose and insulin
- Sugar causes copper deficiency.
- Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium
- Sugar weakens eyesight
- Sugar raises the level of neurotransmitters called serotonin (‘ the happy hormones’)
- Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
- Sugar can contribute to eczema in children
- Sugar can raise adrenaline levels in children
- Sugar can lead to anxiety, difficulty concentrating and crankiness in children
- Sugar can lead to alcoholism
- Sugar causes tooth decay
- Sugar contributes to obesity
- Sugar can cause acidity in the stomach
- Sugar can cause changes frequently found in persons with gastric or duodenal ulcers
- Sugar can cause arthritis.
- Sugar can cause asthma.
- Sugar can cause Candida albicans (yeast infections)
- Sugar can cause gallstones.
- Sugar can cause heart disease.
- Sugar can cause appendicitis.
- Sugar can contribute to multiple sclerosis
- Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
- Sugar can cause varicose veins.
- Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
- Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
- Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
- Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.
- Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
- Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance.
- Sugar can decrease growth hormone.
- Sugar can increase cholesterol.
- Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.
- Sugar can cause drowsiness and decrease activity in children.
- Sugar can cause migraine headache.
- Sugar can interfere with absorption of protein.
- Sugar causes food allergies.
- Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
- Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
- Sugar can cause ageing
Let’s analyze the last statement from the above list.
How sugar can cause ageing?
Dr Nicholas Perricone the world- renown dermatologist, researcher, former assistant clinical professor of Dermatology at Yale University School of Medicine and best-selling author of “The Wrinkle Cure”, “The Perricone Prescription” and “The Acne Prescription”… has been recently recognized as the father of the inflammatory theory of ageing, he often asks this question to medical students and his colleagues:
“What does, Alzheimer’s disease, colon cancer, arthritis, heart disease and wrinkles have in common”?
The answer is, inflammation that causes the gradual progressive cellular damage.
He established that inflammation is the basis of disease and one of its triggers is sugar and high-glycemic carbohydrates, fruit and vegetables that rapidly converts to sugar. Sugar activates the cascade of events on the cellular level, which leads to accelerated aging and many degenerative diseases.
Elevated blood sugar causes a number of chemical reactions in the body that induces inflammation. When the skin cells undergo oxidative stress it produces the proinflamatory cytokines, the ‘serial killers’ that activates many chemicals, one of them being enzyme called collagenases, which digests the collagen and causes micro scars and wrinkles.
Many scientists see the high intake of refined sugar as an addictive problem. The severity of sugar addiction can be just as strong as drug addiction.
Many products on today market labeled as “fat free”, “low fat”, or “reduced fat” are compensated for the lost in palatability by increased sugar amount.
“We create our own sickness by upsetting our body chemistry, but we can also actually create health. Stop doing to the body what you did to make it sick and the body will heal itself. It is a fact that the average person who lives over the age of one hundred, does not die of a disease. These people simply die, peacefully, of old age. And we can too.”- Nancy Appleton “ Diet, Stress, and Immune System”
The natural healthy alternative to sugar is an herb of Chrysanthemum family called Stevia Rebaudiana, which was used by Guarani Indians of Paraguay for centuries to sweeten their food. Intensive studies over last 70 years have been conducted to find out any toxic effect of Stevia, and none have been found. The small amount of Stevia can sweeten just about anything without the negative effects of sugar and artificial sweeteners.
For years, the A.F.D.A. has outlawed Stevia, because of their loyalty to MONSANTO- the creator of aspartame.
Recently the A. F.D.A .has permitted Stevia to be imported and sold as a food supplement.
For healthy sugar alternative look for Stevia or products sweetened by Stevia in your local Health Food Stores.
Tips for the month.
Why extra virgin olive oil?
When you buy olive oil, go for the best quality extra virgin, first cold- pressed, Spanish olive oil. It contains the highest levels of powerful protective antioxidants called polyphenols as well as essential fatty acids and oleic acid. One of the most powerful polyphenols is hydroxytyrosol, found in the highest concentration in extra virgin olive oil from the Mediterranean region and particularly from Spain, probably due to the quality of the soil or the certain types of olive trees.
The hydroxytyrosol slows down the ageing process in the skin by stabilizing the cells membrane and also makes the hair lustrous, shiny and strengthens the nails, preventing them from breaking and splitting.
A few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil mixed with lemon juice; served over a green salad every day will preserve your health, beauty and longevity.